Flinders Private Hospital is at the forefront of innovative Cardiac Care in South Australia. Being co-located with Flinders Medical Centre (FMC), Adelaide’s largest tertiary hospital in the southern region, our cardiac facilities continue to undertake the majority of interventional life-saving procedures in the south. Our Cardiologists are committed to providing high quality state-of-the-art evidence based practice incorporating clinical trials and innovative interventions, which means our patients receive the highest level of expertise and care. Our Cardiologists performed the first Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implant (TAVI) using a balloon expandable valve in the Asia-Pacific Region. In collaboration with FMC, we provide these services to all metropolitan and rural areas with a facility to accept air retrievals.
Our cardiac service includes:
- 24/7 Cardiac Emergency Centre
- 24/7 access to leading Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery Specialists
- 24/7 access to our three angiography suites
- Coronary Care Unit
- Cardiac Surgical Unit
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
- Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic
Flinders Private Hospital provides an emergency service for all cardiac related symptoms via our Cardiac Emergency Centre 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The service is available to all our private patients and the ambulance can transfer you directly through to our CEC via the front entrance of Flinders Private Hospital or via the Flinders Medical Centre Emergency Department.
Cardiac Emergency Centre Provides:
- Immediate assessment and diagnosis
- 24/7 Cardiologist on call
- 24/7 Cardiac Medical Officer rostered on-site
- 24/7 Acute intervention, including angiography and angioplasty
- No referral required
The Cardiac Emergency Centre is available to assess symptoms including:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
If you are experiencing these symptoms please call an ambulance on ‘000’ and ask for Flinders Private Hospital, Cardiac Emergency Centre.
For any Emergency CEC enquiries, please phone 08 8275 3347.
Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic (RACPC) for private and public patients who require a Specialist appointment within two weeks.
The RACPC provides a fast cardiological assessment service for patients with new chest pain. The objective is to minimise waiting times for assessment and reduce the risk of cardiac morbidity and mortality. Private patients with acute chest pain or other associated symptoms suggestive of a heart attack or acute coronary syndrome should attend the Flinders Private Hospital Cardiac Emergency Centre.
The RACPC service includes:
- Assessment and diagnosis by a Cardiologist
- Echocardiogram and Stress Echocardiography
- Electrocardiography (ECG)
- Exercise stress tests
- Chest x-ray
- Cardiac blood tests
- Patients require a Doctor’s referral
For any Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic enquiries or to make a booking, please phone 08 8275 3347.
Flinders Private Hospital has three angiography suites which provide acute interventional cardiac procedures for both public and private patients, working collaboratively with Flinders Medical Centre. This unique relationship provides a service boasting state-of-the-art facilities and equipment with a team of Specialists who are internationally renowned for their ground breaking research and expertise in Interventional Cardiology.
The services we provide include:
- Automatic Defibrillator Implantation
- Cardiac Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation and Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Angioplasty, Rotablation and Stenting
- Electrophysiological Studies
- Myocardial biopsy
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO)
- Percutaneous Atrial Septal Defect Closure
- Right Heart Catheterisation (RHC)
- Three-Dimensional Mapping of Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
Our conveniently located Cardiac Emergency Centre is ready to accept all private patients with any acute chest pain or cardiac related condition, with a Cardiologist on call 24/7. If required, the easy access to an angiography suite ensures no time is wasted in getting the acute interventional care our patients might need.
Flinders Private Hospital has two cardiothoracic operating theatres which provides surgical management of a variety of different cardiovascular and thoracic conditions including:
- Adult congenital heart conditions
- Benign and malignant lung and other chest disease
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Valvular disease (both valve replacement and valve repair)
Flinders Private Hospital works collaboratively with the public hospital, Flinders Medical Centre and we perform both cardiac and thoracic procedures for public and private patients in our theatres.
All cardiothoracic surgery procedures are performed at Flinders Private Hospital including:
- Aortic Root Replacement
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Mitral Valve Repair or Replacement
- Video Assisted Thoracotomy
Flinders Private Hospital has a six bed Coronary Care Unit. Each private room is equipped with the latest technology in cardiac monitoring.
Dedicated cardiac nursing staff work with our Cardiologists to provide the highest level of cardiac care. The team will assist your Cardiologist with procedures including:
- Thoracic interventions
- Transoesphagoeal Echocardiogram
- Computed Tomography Coronary Angiogram (CTCA)
Our Cardiac Surgical Ward has 30 private rooms with ensuites and are equipped with telemetry monitoring systems which provide 24 hour cardiac monitoring for our patients whilst allowing them to move around freely in their rooms.
Our cardiac rehabilitation program is available to our patients living with cardiovascular disease and its effects. It is designed for patients to learn more about their heart and exercise in a friendly and supportive environment. The program, conducted by our professional cardiac rehabilitation team, focuses on identifying and modifying risk factors for heart disease, including specific diet and exercise advice.
The program consists of 6 x 2 hour sessions and our professional teams include:
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinators
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Diabetic Educator
For further information or to book into this program, please contact Flinders Private Hospital on 08 8275 3379 and ask for the Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator.
Most private health insurance funds currently cover the cost of this program.