Emergency Admission Support
Flinders Private Hospital provides a pathway for emergency admissions to our hospital via Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) Emergency Department (ED) for patients with private health insurance. You have a choice to use your private health insurance and ask to be admitted to Flinders Private Hospital. The Doctors in FMC ED will liaise with the Flinders Private Hospital ED Liaison Nurse to facilitate your admission or you can call the Liaison Nurse on 0437 003 496 (11.00am - 7.00pm) or on 08 8275 3704 (7.00pm - 11.00am) to discuss your options.
For the latest COVID-19 restrictions on patient admission, please visit the COVID-19 Information page.
The benefits of going private at Flinders Private Hospital:
- Choice of Specialist (most of the Specialists who admit to Flinders Private Hospital also work at FMC)
- 24/7 access to theatre
- Surgical on-call team rostered 24/7
- 24/7 Medical Officers rostered on-site
- 24/7 Cardiac Emergency Centre with 24/7 access to angiography suites
- Critical Care Unit
- Coronary Care Unit
- Private rooms with ensuites
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free local phone calls and newspapers
- Patient Finder for your loved ones to track your whereabouts
You have the choice to use your private health insurance at Flinders Private Hospital
To assist your admission to Flinders Private Hospital from FMC ED we suggest the following:
- Request to be admitted as a private patient in Flinders Private Hospital
- Discuss with your ambulance officer (if applicable)
- Inform FMC ED staff you would like to be admitted to Flinders Private Hospital
- Ask to speak to the Flinders Private Hospital ED Liaison Nurse or representative
- FMC staff will discuss your choice to go to Flinders Private Hospital with the Flinders Private Hospital ED Liaison Nurse
- Flinders Private Hospital ED Liaison Nurse may visit you if you are well enough or as appropriate
- Authorisation from your private health fund will be completed by Flinders Private Hospital staff prior to your admission, we just require your private health insurance details to complete this
- Once a Specialist has been allocated to your care (or your chosen Specialist is available) you will be transferred to your room in Flinders Private Hospital
- If surgery is required, your Specialist will arrange a time that is appropriate for your clinical condition. Flinders Private Hospital has an emergency surgical team rostered on-call 24/7
Contact the Flinders Private Hospital Liaison Nurse on 0437 003 496 (11.00am – 7.00pm) or 08 8275 3704 (7.00pm to 11.00am) to discuss your options.
If you do not have private health insurance you can still elect to be a private patient at Flinders Private Hospital. As a self-funded patient you will be responsible for meeting the costs of your hospital stay that are not covered by Medicare. Please ask our Flinders Private Hospital ED Liaison Nurse for assistance in obtaining a quotation for your hospital costs. If there is a gap to pay for your Specialist this can be discussed with them prior to admission.